September 22, 2010

At the end of his retirement period the Guardian felt “spiritually and bodily … better equipped to shoulder the responsibilities of the Cause”

Now that happily I feel myself restored to a position where I can take up with continuity and vigour the threads of my manifold duties, the bitterness of every disappointment felt, time and again, in the course of the past weary months at my feeling of unpreparedness, have been merged in the sweetness of the present hour, when I realise that spiritually and bodily I am better equipped to shoulder the responsibilities of the Cause. The thought, so often comforting and sustaining, that in the counsels of my British co-workers of that land, I shall find spontaneous and undiminished support as well as wise and experienced assistance, is surely one of those forces which will hearten me in the midst of my future labours for the Cause. (Shoghi Effendi, Excerpt from a letter dated 16 December 1922 to the Baha’is of Great Britain; The Unfolding Destiny of the British Baha'i Community, p. 10) (To see the entire letter please visit Messages to the Baha’i World)